Happy Friday everyone!
This weekend, and this post, kicks off what I hope will become a series on the blog: The Great 2014 Northeast Tour.
As you all know, I’m super passionate about travel, but haven’t been able to afford it lately. Spring is usually a mood lifting time for me, so to make it even better, I decided to plan out as many weekend trips as funds allow: to see how spring looks in different cities and towns across the Northeastern U.S., to visit friends and family scattered throughout the region, and to sate my wanderlust by traveling close to home.
I’m so excited! My first stop is this weekend: Portland, Maine! My last time there was a year and a half ago, for my friend Erin’s wedding.
Portland is full of stately brick buildings (look for a future post featuring Portland architecture!), a historic waterfront, and an array of appetizing dining options. These photos are all from a brunch Erin, her husband John, and I had at Hot Suppa!, during a winter visit in 2011.
Have you ever been to Portland? What are you favorite places to eat there? Do you have another Northeast city you think I should check out? Boston and Philadelphia are on my wish list for sure, since surprisingly, I’ve spent minimal time in both cities.
Now, of course, it’s time for the star of today’s show, my Friday Gratitude list. I am hurriedly putting this together before heading up north, so please excuse the brevity!
Today I’m grateful for:
- Talking to one best friend on the phone Thursday evening. I am so inspired by her and the work she’s doing right now.
- My haircut! I can’t tell you how long I’ve wanted this to happen. My last haircut was in 2011, and since then it had just grown to an impossible length for me. So much shorter, so freeing! What a wonderful change.
- A good work week with the four-year-old. We had a series of ‘adventures’ and had minimal drama. I made sure to thank him today for such a nice time together and recount all the fun things we did together, because I’m cheesy like that.
- Fantastic Mr. Fox. It’s five years old, but I love it every single time I watch it. George Clooney and Meryl Streep! Wes Anderson meets Roald Dahl! What’s not to like?
- This coming weekend, of course! Traveling for what’s essentially a girls’ weekend. Visiting another city. Photo inspiration. The train ride home on Sunday afternoon (have I told you how much I love trains?). Wheeeee!
Please share what you’re grateful for this week, and if there’s anywhere in the Northeastern U.S. you think I should make a trip to see!
Anticipation. In love and travel, getting there is half the fun. The lustful impatience, the passionate daydreams, the nerve-wracking waiting… lovers and travelers are all alike when they find themselves on the brink of a new adventure. –Vivian Swift