Hi everyone and happy holiday weekend! Here is today’s Friday Gratitude, written in a rush as Andy and I are heading down to Long Island to spend a couple of days with my family.
So without further ado (and with some miscellaneous recent photos thrown in)…
Friday Gratitude (part the sixth): Holiday Weekend Edition
1. I’m grateful that my 6 week online sociology class is over! The final exam was on Monday, and ever since, I find myself wondering if there’s something I’m forgetting to do: we had to log in nearly every day and contribute a certain number of questions, answers and comments to the class discussion board. Do I have enough contributions for this module?, I would constantly ask myself (and Andy). But now it’s over and I’m class free until the fall semester starts on August 26th! Yay yay yay 🙂
2. My break from school coincides nicely with more friend time: I’m grateful that my friend Ellen is back in the Hudson Valley for the month of July. You know that close friend that you just laugh with, so easily, so naturally, so much that you realize the lack of it when they’re not around? Ellen and I just get each other, and I cannot wait to hang out and laugh with her as much as possible this month.
3. This week, I made a huge step in maintaining my mental health. I’m grateful that I started therapy again. I was super anxious before my appointment, because it’s pretty tough starting over (again): dredging up all that emotional stuff that’s been kept at bay, establishing trust and familiarity with a new person, etc. But there were more tears in the very beginning, and more out of anxiety than anything, than in the middle or end, so that’s a good thing. Yay
4. I’m grateful to have such a supportive family. Yes, every family has its issues. But when I really stop to think about it, I’m so blessed with how much love I have in my life, and a lot of that stems from my family: my parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, and cousins. Thanks for always letting me walk my own path, you guys, and for being there when I need you.
5. I’m grateful that I’ll be on Long Island this weekend, which means the beach!! Spending your childhood near the ocean means you miss it like crazy when you’re away. More than the big party we’re going to tomorrow, I’m looking forward to digging my toes in the sand, smelling the salty air, and diving into the waves on that very long strip of beach just south of Long Island, Fire Island. This first time back will be especially poignant since Sandy did so much damage in the fall.
Oh yes, and last night! We celebrated the Fourth by watching the fireworks in Kingston from the excellent vantage point of an old suspension bridge. Here’s my favorite shot of Andy’s:
Did you do anything to celebrate yesterday? What are you grateful for this week? Do you have a favorite summer spot you look forward to every year?
That’s it, friends! See you back here on Sunday for another travel post!
Look at that sea, girls–all silver and shadow and vision of things not seen. We couldn’t enjoy its loveliness any more if we had millions of dollars and ropes of diamonds. –L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
I LOVE your swimsuit. LOVE.
Kerry recently posted…I got an unexpected gift in the mail this Fourth of July!
Thanks, Kerry! It was an extremely rare splurge from Anthropologie last year- I’ve never had a suit I loved like this one!
Posts about being grateful always make me get the biggest smile on my face. It’s such a wonderful reminder to me how great life truly is! That picture of you and your best friend is absolutely adorable! Oh, and I love you swim suit! The beach is always something to be grateful for (and pretty swim suits!) 🙂
Thanks! So glad I could help put a smile on your face, Katherine!
Having a swimsuit I love is motivation in itself to go swimming!
I love these type of posts! They really make me stop and think about what I’m grateful for too!
Have an awesome weekend! 🙂
Aw, thanks, Holly, that’s so nice to hear! It’s so cheesy, but true- gratitude is contagious 🙂 Have a good weekend too!
Have a great time in Fire Island! I’m from Long Island, and I also find that I crave the beach. I’m much more of a Hudson Valley girl these days though. Enjoy the waves!
Thanks Vanessa! I hear you on the Hudson Valley now-being-home thing- I’ll take the quiet and beauty of the HV over the traffic and over-development of LI any day- but the beaches, pizza, bagels & some other foods just can’t be beat!
i love your post. and your photos!
happy sits saturday share fest!
Welcome, Betty, and thanks so much for the sweet words! Off to your blog now 🙂
I love this idea of a Friday Gratitude! What a wonderful idea. I really enjoyed the photos!
Thanks- I’ve seen variations of this theme- Friday Love List, Things That Are Making Me Happy, etc- and making a post based on gratitude is such a nice practice, especially at the end of the week!
What a great gratitude post! It’s funny that I came across your post about how grateful you are to be starting therapy just at a time when I am taking a break from therapy. It’s all about timing, isn’t it? I hope you find healing and peace.
Thanks for sharing. Stopping by from SITS.
misssrobin recently posted…Taking a Break From Therapy
Haha, yup, timing is everything. Thanks for stopping by! 🙂
[…] moods, more energy, and plenty of stuff going on locally. July in particular was full of events and nonstop busy; I can’t believe how fast it went […]