Welcome to the weekend, dearlings! (Yep, I made up that word. Combination of darling and dear, couldn’t you tell?) Do ‘weekends’ mean anything to you? Since it’s summer, weekends aren’t that much different for us Milfords than the rest of the week- there might be more going on, local events-wise, but that’s about it. However, once the school semester starts, just wait! I crave that break from classes and routine.
Speaking of routine, it’s time for Friday Gratitude again. I’m so happy I’ve stuck with this series 🙂
Friday Gratitude (part five), or 5 Things I’m Loving This Week
1. Lemongrass, Oregano, and Peppermint! I’m grateful for the potted herbs we recently received as a gift. Andy has since put them in the ground, right outside our kitchen window, so it’s super convenient to pick some and add fresh flavor to our meals. Last night I made a variation on this sauce with some of the oregano, and I’m looking forward to making this dish again with the peppermint.
2. We witnessed such a spectacular nighttime scene four days ago! I’m grateful for the big orange full moon, and the clear skies on Monday night. Andy and I were both doubtful we’d see anything interesting, since it seems as though we’ve had cloudy weather for every exciting celestial phenomenon the last few months. But we kept our eyes on the forecast and headed over to the best local spot we could think of for hilltop views: Hasbrouck Park. Holy cannoli, was it worth it, you guys!
There’s something semi-magical about going to a park or somewhere in nature and waiting with bated breath for something to happen: you’re not quite sure what you’ll see, but you hopehopehope it’s going to beautiful. It was vaguely reminiscent of six years ago, when we had been dating for just a couple of months, and we watched a lunar eclipse just before sunrise.
3. Not to get all Suzie Homemaker on you, but I’m grateful for my food processor!
I ‘m using it so much lately, even improvising by throwing in different ingredients and hoping the resulting dip or spread will come out halfway decent (everything has). Here’s a mystery after shot; you’ll have to wait until next week to find out what it is 🙂
4. So you guys have heard the best news ever, right? I am so happy and grateful for the Supreme Court decision this week, overturning the Defense of Marriage Act and granting federal equality for gay and lesbian marriages. As you may know from my Pride post, these issues are close to my heart. Reading all the triumphant news stories and watching interviews of couples whose lives changed this week brings tears to my eyes. At last! 🙂
5. I am grateful for public art: mosaics, sculptures, light installations, and murals. In Newburgh last weekend, we stumbled upon a fantastic mural that took up the whole underside of an overpass, right near Downing Park. It’s one of those great, oversized works of art that looks incredible from a distance and plays with perception and dimension up close. Take a look:
Wow…honestly, when I started writing, I wondered what my gratitude list would consist of, not really anticipating anything exciting. Now I look back and I love this post! So much goodness and color!
What are you grateful for this week? Did you see the “Super Moon”? Do you enjoy public art as much as I do? What are your weekend plans?
Any great work of art… revives and readapts time and space, and the measure of its success is the extent to which it makes you an inhabitant of that world – the extent to which it invites you in and lets you breathe its strange, special air. –Leonard Bernstein
[Thanks to Andy Milford for the second, third, and fifth photos in this post!]
I’m grateful for my healthy boys and husband. I didn’t get to see the Super Moon because I was enjoying a much-deserved ladies night out which included pedicures, margaritas and birthday cake! I’m also grateful for everyone that supports my little baking business. And lastly, for Christy Milford! You’re supportive, inspirational, loving, a great blogger/photographer! Looking forward to seeing you this weekend, fingers crossed we don’t get rained out at Tanglewood. xo
Yay! Thanks, Sissy-poo! 🙂 You’re all those things, too (except the blogger/photographer part haha), looking forward to Saturday, whatever happens!
Love the thrift shop finds…always satisfying to use them and know you got a screaming deal. I also went hunting for the super moon last weekend. This week I’m grateful for our cycling team for Bike MS. We ride this weekend and this is the year that our team will reach $1 million in fundraising!
Wow, what an incredible accomplishment, to raise so much money! Congratulations, Jenni! Thanks for contributing to the gratitude list 🙂
Yay, for the grant by thesupreme court. I’m waiting for a lot of invites.
Hi, this is my first time visiting, and commenting on your blog. I woke up to a positive thankful note, thank you.
I am grateful for many things, the top most of all my 2 little babies. I might do post some day.
Love your supermoon picture. Enjoy your weekend!!!
Hi, it’s nice to see a new face/name! Glad I could provide something nice to wake up to- happy weekend to you, too!
Great post! I love fresh herbs…I’ve never been able to keep any alive, sadly. : ( But we bought fresh basil last night and it was so summery!
And that tree painting is WONDERFUL!
Also, lots of queer sister love to you. <3 <3
It’s tough growing them, that’s for sure. Cilantro and oregano both like flowering, so we have to be quick to remove those in order to keep producing leaves.
The tree painting! I’m just in love with it 🙂
I missed the super moon! 🙁 The pic is absolutely gorgeous though! I’m grateful it’s the weekend…it’s been a very long, stressful week.
I hear you on the stress, Holly. Hope your weekend is nice and relaxing!
It’s funny you mention things you’re grateful for on Friday because I just decided to bring that back! I think it’s great to have a positive recap at the end of the week.
Visiting from SITS!
Hi Shauna, I appreciate the visit! I agree, having gratitude as a theme once a week is a nice way to revisit the positive stuff I may have overlooked 🙂
[…] See you all back here tomorrow for another edition of Friday Gratitude! […]