March has been such a funny month. Weren’t we all just setting goals for February?
I haven’t been absent due to a lack of inspiration: I have about 25 draft posts going right now. I have plenty of ideas, plenty of material, and plenty of photos to share with you all. Sometimes it’s tough putting it all into something that I’m satisfied with. I wouldn’t say that I’m a perfectionist per se, but I have high standards and I like to wait until something truly feels right and complete before publishing it.
That said, this post is inspired by Kate at Diaries of an Essex Girl. I present you with ten things: recent, random, relevant. Happenings, likes, thoughts, recommendations, and other such things that don’t fit into any other kind of post.
1. I got my hair cut, but I am only mostly happy with it. Most of the time, it looks like I’m in the awkward growing-it-out phase, but all I’d really like to grow out are the cheekbone-length ‘bangs’ in the front.
2. Hot water bottle resting on your chest = nice for loosening up mucus if you happen to be congested. FYI!
3. On Sunday, I took my sister Sue out for a late birthday lunch up in Albany. Cafe Madison is a popular brunch spot for good reason: fried oatmeal! Raspberry oatmeal pancakes! Cinnamon swirl French toast!
4. Today for lunch I made my savory spinach Dutch Baby, this time with Gruyère and romano instead of mozzarella, and added chopped red bell pepper. So good! Seriously, I’m not even sure you could mess this up no matter what you wanted to throw in.
5. Random and weird facts are my favorite kinds of facts. Here are 60 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About New York City. (I love a pneumatic mail system! How cool is that?!)
6. Andy has been rearranging a bunch of stuff in the apartment, which is cool. Since we’ve been in the same place for nearly two years, I like to change it up any way we can. And something new is our map wall in the lounge! I love maps; I could stare at them all day long. Places I’ve been, places I’m planning on going, places I’ve never heard of, all of it! Here’s my Maps board on Pinterest for some map love 🙂
7. Two great depression related links: Depression Stories, Vol 1, a great new feature on the Powder Room, and via The Everywhereist, a beautiful piece that I can’t stop reading because it’s so awful, so eloquent, and so true to my own experience: Miles and Miles of No-Man’s Land.
8. This week, the four-year-old and I stayed indoors three days in a row because either he or I was sick. So not fun. But at least I got him to do some jigsaw puzzles over playing with trucks or trains for the fiftieth time.
9. I made soup! Andy and I have both been coughing and sniffling way too much, so I wanted a nutrient-packed, brothy soup for dinner. Enter Italian Spinach and Egg Soup, with cannellini beans, garlic, spinach, and eggs! Completely new-to-me recipe, and completely delicious.
10. Andy’s sister and brother-in-law are visiting in just two weeks! We are planning on lots of fun stuff both here in the Hudson Valley and down in NYC. Out-of-town guests are such a great excuse for hitting up old favorite spots and trying out new ones.
Your turn! Links to share? Weekend plans? Recent revelations?