My goodness, there has been such an immense emphasis on seasons and the weather lately, hasn’t there? It’s colder than ever before, or warmer than ever recorded at such-and-such time. More ice, more storms, less rain, more rain, flooding. I keep thinking of The Day After Tomorrow, how that came out eight years ago and reality is becoming far too similar to the movies.
But let’s focus on the positive. Spring is arriving, as evidenced by the birds singing outside and increased daylight every day. We can rejoice! In an effort to pull myself out of my late-winter slump, to at least partly lift this veil I’ve been hiding under, I’ve pulled this list together and thrown in a bunch of spring-focused pictures from years past.
10 Things I’m Looking Forward to About Spring
1. Flowers! Spring means the return of color, softness underfoot rather than hard ice, and aromatic blossoms. Even the word flower feels magical on my tongue, as if just by speaking it, fantastic things are possible.
3. Getting out of town! Not surprisingly, I’ve been beyond eager to travel, and I’m planning a few short getaways soon. Next weekend I’m heading to Portland, Maine to see a dear friend, and I’m also hoping to make it up to Vermont to see my sister and the Harrisburg, PA area to see another close friend.
4. Fresh vegetables in the garden and at the farmer’s market. I love squash, and in fact just made a great roasted acorn squash with sage recipe last night, but I’m more than ready for spring produce.
5. Long hikes in the woods of the Catskills, Shawangunks, and Adirondacks. As much as I love hiking, it hasn’t happened much at all in the past few months. Warm weather and sunshine make venturing outdoors so much more appealing and I can’t wait to get back into nature.
6. Wacky local Hudson Valley events like the Dummy Race at Belleayre Mountain. I just found out about this event and can’t wait to go at the end of the month. Seems like it will be as ridiculously fun as the bed race and homemade boat regatta we went to last year.
7. Shedding the boots, scarves, gloves, and hats! Remember going outside in only short-sleeves? Just the thought of it makes my heart beat faster.
8. Mornings that are cool and sunny, not frigid and bleak. Perfect time to take up jogging again! (she said to herself encouragingly)
9. Strawberries. I know I mentioned spring produce already, but strawberries deserve a mention of their own.
10. Feeling good. This isn’t spring-specific, but I am looking forward to moving past this state I’ve been in. So stagnant, so self-loathing. I’m fully aware that I am an active participant in my depression, and knowing I need to be proactive doesn’t make it any easier. I read an article on how depression has evolutionary benefits, could even be life-saving, and find myself dubious, but hopeful at the same time.
Are you looking forward to anything this spring?
…Especially spring. I couldn’t live without spring. Days like today are worth every snowstorm and slush puddle. By March, it seems like winter will never end. All that snow and ice that seemed so wonderful in December is driving you crazy. But you know spring’s coming. Every year, you wait for that first warm day, then the next and the next, each better than the last. You can’t help but be happy. You forget winter and get the chance to start over. Fresh possibilities. A fresh start. –Kelley Armstrong